Generational Real Estate Trends 2017
We are halfway through 2017 and recent reports from the National Association of Realtors have shown that:
- In the last four years, buyers 36 years and younger (Millennials/Gen Yers) are the largest share of home buyers at 34 percent.
- 46 percent of buyers 36 years and younger that had debt reported having student loan debt with a median loan balance of $25,000.
- While only 27 percent of buyers 37 to 51 have student loan debt, they have the highest median balance of debt at $30,000.
- Buyers 52 to 61 are more likely to buy a multi-generational home.
- Buyers 62 to 70 typically move the longest distance at a median of 25 miles and are least likely to make compromises on their home purchase.
- All generations of buyers continue to consult a real estate agent or broker to help them buy and sell their home.
Source: Home Buyer and Seller Generational Trends. (2017, March 07). Retrieved June 28, 2017, from https://www.nar.realtor/reports/home-buyer-and-seller-generational-trends